Friday, January 14, 2011

Epiphany

No, no apple's have been hitting me upside the head. Though granted that may knock some sense into me. No, no today I realized something.
The world, has indeed, gone crazy. 
Okay, well be that as it may not be a total shock to everyone and it's kind of like "Andi.. that's old news. Like, almost pre-history old news." But no quite pre-history because then it wouldn't be news. Heh.
Okay! Bad joke of the day out of the way! Point being, I flicked on my tv before leaving for work today to have every single news story being about some form of a tragedy, or someone was shot, or a poor police office was run over by a snowplow (?!) or someone tried to assassinate a governor, the worlds flooding, its over heating, its freezing, THE END IS NIGH YOU GUUUUYS!!
Well that's enough to put you in bed depressed for weeks... Urgh, seriously. Now, being an Anthropology geeky major I've never really loved western society (I know, lo, I am weird) I've actually been called a traitor due to my disquieted disgust for it some days. Because really living in a society that has no traditions for coming of age, that led by a vocal minority and a tactfully coach potatoed (usually) majority, the glorification of skinny minnies, the media, Hollywood (nrrrgh), blah blah blah. The list goes on. 
Anyways, I kept thinking about this on the bus to work, it kind of nagging at me. When I got to work I was pulling out the paper to put out on the waiting tables when I read this article:
A teenage boy who put his brother's life before his own was one of the 13 people confirmed to have died in the Australian floods.
Jordan Rice, 13, was killed in the city of Toowoomba, 130 kilometres west of Brisbane, as his family car was swamped.
The teenager had insisted that rescuers take his 10-year-old brother, Blake, first. Seconds later, Jordan and his mother, Donna, 43, were swept away.
Read more: http://www.calgaryherald.com/flood+died+save+brother/4101732/story.html#ixzz1B3Yzpus2
So that's like the first paragraph and I was already choking up. It was pretty heart wrenching to read about this tragedy, but the last line of the story made me have another epiphany. The rescue worker who tried to save the teenage boy said: "He's just the champion of all champions, a family hero."
Yes, I was totally at work and sniffling. I can be a wuss. But I suppose it was because it's things like this that make me feel like the world will still be okay. As crazy as things get, there are still people who love each other and there is still kindness in humanity. Not all of us are crazy... in the bad way. There are still some of us who curl up on the couch after work with the dog on one side and the person you love on the other, and the world feels like a very distant place you see on the tv. Some of us still have that concept of "home" in our lives. 
I now leave you with your Daily Dose of D'aww!
And your Daily Dose of WTF?


1 comment:

  1. First, you made me sob. Then, you made me die of cute. And you finished off with some fiiiiine entertainment.

    ReplyDelete