Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Dear Calgary

*ahem*
Calgary, you're truly a lovely city. With your ever reaching upward downtown, the winding shallow banks of the Bow river, the tasty cafes that I sit at often, and the picturesque grandeur of the Rocky Mountain outlining the background borders of this city.
However, we need to have a talk Calgary.
About your drivers....
I know you're a big city these days. Growing up and moving up in the world. You've got a lot of friends, and a lot more going for you. Sure, I know you've had your trials.
But seriously, that's no excuse for the drivers here.
Last I checked, when I have the pedestrian light and I got to cross the street, that is not grounds for honking and nearly hitting me. If this were a one time thing, yeah I'd let it slid. But everyday as I walk from my work, here in your downtown heart, to my bus stop I have somebody honking at my for crossing the street. More than a few times I've had to actually stop and jump back as some person thinks it's okay to turn quickly and cut across my path with their car. Which, by the way, is significantly larger and more heavy than me. I haven't eaten that many cream puffs these days. Do I look like another car?
Now the pedestrian incidents, well I'm kind of starting to get numb to that. Along with everyone else. We all know when to pause because someone wants to beat the walkers and cut across. We all know to just ignore the idiot honking at us because he can't turn in .32748392 seconds, because oh no I'm there crossing.
What rubs my raw everyday is the fact that no one waves.
That's right. I could rant that no one seems to know how to merge here. How people seem to think it's okay to cut me off. How the instant a centimeter of snow touches the ground in this city every single major road is backed up because someone got freaked out SNOWPOCALYPSE and had an accident with 5 other cars. No, my big issue is no one waves.
I counted once. In one day, where I had to drive for roughly 4 hours about 3 people waved.
I remember a time when someone would let you into their lane and you waved to them as a thank you. These days people just shove on into your lane, even if you let them in and then press on in their gas guzzling, obscenely large and decked out SUVs and BMWs. If I'm taking my time to slow the heck down and hold up traffic because your undecided supreme fuel butt can't figure out how to merge in properly, it's polite to at least wave. I think most parents, and people in this culture, teach manners. It's a way of saying thank you. But no, people tend to think everyone owes them, the individual, more than the next individual two cars over. I'm getting pretty fed up of all of this. I still wave when someone lets me in, it's not like its an alien concept. I remember the days when everyone did that.
Calgary, I know it's not really your fault. Although the winding streets, the ridiculous construction and the backed up traffic on the commute to work may contribute. People tend to forget about the other people around them when they're so entirely focused on not being late for their meeting, or hurrying to get to their next destination. We live in a world of instant gratification for the individual, we forget about the other individuals out there.
So Calgarian drivers, the next time I slow down to let you in while you're yaking on your cell phone and drinking your Starbucks, take two seconds to wave to me. I know I'm just the piddly little Saturn behind you're massive Cadillac SUV, but it's just polite. So does that sound good? You wave for me, and I'll wave for you. Maybe with just a little recognition to kindness and a wave we can start making the roads a tad friendlier.


Yours Truly,

AR

2 comments:

  1. I completely agree. What happened to the wave? Seriously, it's a small gesture but makes all the difference.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No kidding. If people cut me off and still wave I'm like ALL IS FORGIVEN! OKAY!

    ReplyDelete