Sunday, May 22, 2011

Oh thank goodness!

It's the long weekend!
*phew*
And it's actually been pretty nice weather.
Little rain and some warmth and sun
But not enough to burn me
Because seriously, that happens at the drop of a hat.

Also, I can almost tell we have a livable living room..









Seriously. My joy. It is so full.
Also, my kitchen is finally in one functional piece.
I can hear the heavenly choir.

Aside from that I have suckered my husband 
into one of my favorite summer activities!
Granted it didn't take that much convincing...

GARDENING!!
Yay!
No really, it makes me so happy.
If I could be a professional gardener and actually,
you know,
make money.
I would be all over that!
Or not make money on it,
but I'm not that rich.
Yet.

Truly though, 
I love planning out a garden
shoving my hands into damp, cold soil
and making a barren spot look beautiful.
So when Owen and I moved into our new place
I was excited about the flower beds in front

Then I realized that they get almost no sun
And I could make pots from how much clay was in the soil.
Seriously, it took Owen an hour to turn over our 10 foot long flower bed.
Also, all the nails/cigarettes/weeds/roots/death things/WHAT IS THAT
I had to pull out of it.
Not cool.

So we went on a fine adventure,
bought some gardening tools,
and flowers of course,
and lots of peat moss and soil.
So much o_O
and a  red watering can.
Because I needed one...
Rolled up our sleeves and got to work


That is our tiny little flower bed.
Yeah, took an hour to work everything into the soil
Owen's MANLY MAN though so his arms don't hurt
When I'm looking...
Anyways!

So we watered and worked our volcanic ash and peat moss in
And then soon discovered that I am a gentle gardener who takes their time
Owen goes to work on those plants
Those plants don't even know what hit them
One second they're in their containers then
BAM! In the ground!

So in the front flower bed we planted like this:
Two Dracena at each corner of the flower bed along the sides
Then two black velvet pansies (I like pansies ^_^)
A cream or blue pansy
then alternate!
Then lobelia.
Then Owen and I were kinda like...
Wait.. what are we going to do with the extra pansies.
So then the lobelia gets to be friends with more pansies. 
And then a bush of heather,
for a lovely centerpiece!
I'm hoping it grows in the partial shaded area 
*fingers crossed*
Look at our dazzling concrete walls! So aesthetic...

Then along the back I planted sweet pea vines and delphinium
Because seriously need something to cover that concrete >.>
But that's not all!
Meet Charlie
  
Our cranberry bush!
I saw him for 10$ and was like
NEED!
So Owen and I agreed he would be put to use.
Good use,
probably as jelly later.
Until then, he just sits looking all cute in the back.

So besides that flower bed we also have a second one. 
On the other side of the stairs.
Completely out of sunlight.
Why you would put a flower bed there is beyond me.
Also, the clay was so thick
we dumped have a ton of sand in
I swear...

So Owen was left with that flower bed

He had fun :)
On the right hand side you can see
our lovely Bleeding Heart Bush!
Her name is Harriet.
Owen named her. Erm..
So we planted her, and uhm...
Oh shoot what did we plant there?
Right!
Herman's Glory, Lamium, Yellow Archangel,
and Foxglove.

So that is our garden for this year.
There may be new additions.
Don't worry, 
you'll definitely hear about it throughout the summer!

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment