Friday, June 10, 2011

Dear World

How do I explain to you the gravity of that which I am about to tell you? How do I explain in a way that you will understand? Odds are I can't. You'll never understand the depth of sorrow you should be feeling. Or that twinge of silent relief because there is no pain.
But I shall certainly try.
Because you need to know.

When I first came to the Military Museums over a year ago, there were many new things to be introduced to. But the one memory that shall forever stand out in my mind on my first day, was a smiling woman who told me to take a candy from her jar and warmly welcomed me "to the family". That is how I first remember Lynne. I soon become one of the "adopted Museum grandchildren", and Lynne became my "Museum Grandma".

To be honest I've rewritten this post a few times. Trying to think of how to tell you about Lynne. It's rather hard to put into words. I supposed the best way I can think to put it is that Lynne would do anything for the people she loved.

The last thing I will always remember of Lynne was my wedding day. I thought she wasn't going to make it. She had chemo treatments and was slowly getting more and more tired. As I walked down the aisle and out the doors with my husband I remember everything was a blur, until I noticed Lynne was there. She had promised she would come, and hell or high water wouldn't stop her. All I could do was say "Lynne!" and my smile widened. As people filtered out Owen and I gave her a hug and told her how happy we were she was here. I remember she told Owen she loved him and was proud of him, and told me how beautiful I was.

I will always remember Lynne as the first person to greet you when you came in, the woman with the jar of sweets, the one who would bring that piece of vanilla cake for those who don't eat chocolate, Lynne with a different pair of earrings everyday, the one who kept the museum running and kept our sanity, the woman who always gave a smile and wanted to know how your day was, Lynne who loved Elvis and had her desk covered in pictures of her family and the rest of her "family".

As I write this it's another beautiful day. Lilac flowers fall from the breeze and the sun is warm. I like to think Lynne pulled a few strings on the other side; to make sure we got nice weather through these sad days. The "Museum Grandma" wouldn't want us all sad though. So when I go home today, I will hug my husband, tell him I love him, and next Friday I shall go to the Museum. And I shall be with everyone as we laugh and cry and remember our Lovely Lynne. The woman with a big enough heart to love us all.

xoxo

p.s. I'm sure she's already met Elvis.

1 comment: