Monday, December 6, 2010

Behold! The Archnemesis!

The headache...
*fnaaarrrrr*
And curse it back to the very depths of the ninth circle of hell. Until then, it's pounding away on my frontal lobe like a poorly timed mariachi band. Nygah.
However, in case anyone hasn't notice. What with the big city light ups, and the rushed shoppers running you over, and the large volume of traffic circling parking stalls like vultures on a carcass, it's Christmas everyone! Yay! Let us all be caught up in consumerism and totally forget the real meaning. Mk?
Well, okay. Not everyone. I really wish I had caught a picture of this today, but dang it all I left my camera at work and my phone camera is pure terrible. Point being, today whilst out doing my little shopping thing at lunch break; I found myself in the throng of shoppers in the downtown Core Mall. Between dodging sales people, bags, children and other shoppers I finally weaseled outside. Granted it was still just as rush-full of people, but more space to weave. As I walked down the closed streets on Stephen Avenue I happened to spot a homeless man sitting on a little crate with a small empty cup in his hand. I actually recognized him, because I see him everyday on my way to work. And just like other people, sometimes I've dropped a couple of spare coins in my pocket into his cup. Well, it was a bit chillier out today and as I walked up the street I noticed a business woman walking in front of me stop next to the old man.
She was carrying a large cup from Starbucks and I saw her hand it to him. I could hear her say "It's hot chocolate. Merry Christmas." And then she just walked away.
Please let it be noted, as much as I say I hate crying. I so get choked up easily, so I was a little teary when I walked past the man. But he was perfectly happy as he yelled out "God Bless you" to the woman. Then went back to his drink, which I'm sure really was a Christmas treat. For just a moment, between the humming of traffic and the screeching of the train and the bustle of people. I'm sure I was one of the few who stopped to notice a small piece of Christmas right there on the street. May we all be a little kinder, a little merrier, and shine our lights a little brighter this season.
A month ago I found myself leaving the Calgary Highlanders Centennial Gala. Exiting onto Stephen Avenue I just had to snap this shot, it just looked so pretty. Add some snow to the picture and this is what downtown Calgary looks like now. I adore the icicle lights ^_^
xoxo
Wherefore, my beloved brethren, if ye have no charity, ye are nothing, for charity never faileth.
-Moroni

2 comments:

  1. Nice post, Andrea! I got a little teary about the homeless guy too. They tend to make me a bit weepy (sometimes from fear) but usually from sadness. Good point about it being a "small piece of Christmas." Our consumer-driven society is pretty good at losing the gist of it.

    ReplyDelete