Friday, February 25, 2011

We'll see how this goes...

So Owen and I kind of love this new form of photography that I stumbled across a long time ago. It's called Urban Decay. I asked around and not a lot people I know have heard of it, but some of my photography friends have heard of it. Most notably: http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/100-captivating-examples-of-urban-decay-photography/
and
http://www.thecoolist.com/abandoned-places-10-creepy-beautiful-modern-ruins/
but my most favorite is what one of my favorite bloggers posted
http://www.epbot.com/2010/06/urban-decay.html

So Owen and I have been discussing buying a nice DSLR (because he apparently knows how to work one) and going around finding these places we're both attracted too. He loves the history, I love the prospect of forgotten memories. There's something terribly beautiful about places that are is falling apart and forgotten. One place, that I always wanted to snap a picture of is actually in my hometown.

Now A) this is taken with my digital camera and tweeked, so it's not fabulous, and B) I am still figuring out water marks. So any suggestions or advice, super appreciated! 
Anyways, I wish I knew the story on it but my town records aren't exactly up on the net to look at. Along on of the many side gravel roads of my tiny town though stands this old oil well that has fallen into disuse. It hides between the grain elevators (which you can see in the background) and a high hedge of over grown bush. It's so easy to miss and so out of the way that no one notices it really. To me it just seems to stand a small reminder of Alberta's past. It seems so quintessentially Albertan with this rickety old oil well and the grain elevators standing in the background. 

xoxo

3 comments:

  1. I absolutely adore that. Good job.

    As I scroll through those urban decay pics, the one thing I hate about it is rust. Rust gives me the heebs. It really does. Gah, it's disgusting. Totally not the best outlook for a museum worker, right there. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! That might be problematic, but at least it means you like things in a pristine condition.
    Also, could be worse. You could be disgusted by patina, then where would you be?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I'd be so screwed if I had a thing against patina. I'd have to never use coins and leave the museum world forever.

    ReplyDelete